05.03.2012

03 May 2012

I really hadn’t planned to write about reality television again this week (I *do* watch scripted series as well, I swear!), but in the past few days, the reality world has just been chok full of news…and I couldn’t just let that go unreported, could I?
           
            Obviously, the answer is no, I could not. So let’s just dive right in, shall we?
           
            First up, those crazy (or should I say “krazy?”) Kardashians. Now, I honestly have nothing against the Kardashians. They’re generally entertaining enough and they don’t appear to be going out of their way to be hateful or mean-spirited, I just find their love of the cameras and eagerness to endorse any and every product under the sun (diet pills and cupcakes? Conflict of interest, anyone?) easy to snark on. So imagine my shock to learn that one of their own is choosing to walk away from their E!-created empire.
           
            Khloe’s decision to end her profitable spinoff “Khloe & Lamar” made headlines when it was announced earlier this week. There has been speculation as to why she would willingly pull the plug, but Khloe insists she’s purposely stepping away from the cameras to focus on her marriage and support her husband get back in the game, so to speak, after a rough season in Dallas. I’m not 100 percent certain that her reasoning is entirely selfless, as the news has raked in quite a bit of publicity for the Kardashian clan, including allegedly making her momager Kris furious, but I have to say that I’m impressed that anyone in the reality TV bubble has the ability to look past the momentary fame and remain grounded enough to realize that some things are best dealt with away from the camera.
           
            In far less commendable news, VH1 is threatening to due one of the stars of its hit show, Basketball Wives. Jennifer Williams raised eyebrows when she announced she intended to press charges against a friend of a cast member after said friend slapped Jennifer during a taping. In turn, producers are threatening legal action against Jennifer for damaging the integrity of the Basketball Wives brand. I think I speak for anyone who has ever watched the show by asking, “What integrity?” This is a show built on vicious fights and thirtysomethings generally acting like pre-schoolers. I’m not sure there’s anything there to damage.
           
                        Finally, Taylor Armstrong of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills is back in the media glare after allegedly becoming intoxicated at a four year old’s birthday party. Classy. Anyone who has read my personal tumblr will know that I am no fan of Taylor’s, and that doesn’t look to be changing any time soon. There has been speculation that producers plan to phase her out of the upcoming season’s story arc, and as such, she is desperate to create a storyline for herself. I would normally never accuse anyone of feigning an addiction of any sort, but, given Taylor’s history, I wouldn’t be at all shocked to learn that she is simply playing up to the cameras. We may never actually know the truth to this scenario, but I, for one, am anxiously awaiting the return of the glitzy gals of Beverly Hills.

No comments

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving some comments! I love them and make my day a little brighter :)